Senior Platform Engineer – £65k-£75k per annum dependent on experience
Our client, a fast and dynamic organisation based in Windsor, is looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to join their IT Team.
You will be responsible for our AWS/Azure delivery platform, the multiple development, test and staging environments and the publishing pipelines for code and content. You will work with the development squads and leads to design the proposed pipelines and then maintain and secure them from an integrity perspective.
You will demonstrate extensive experience in Platform Engineering, be a technical expert applying best practices and provide support and guidance to both your team and the development squads. You will be a key player in optimising and enhancing the Company’s Technology Platform.
This is a permanent position paying between £65k – £75k dependant on experience.
Main Accountabilities: (there may be others)
- Develop standard application stacks to address common use cases
- Build on the prototype application stacks to deliver a production ready environment that can be scaled to meet future requirements
- Design and implement automation solution for deployment, upgrade and operation of application stacks that can be reused across multiple projects
- Design and implement monitoring solution for application stacks that can be reused across multiple projects
- Conforming to best practices in network administration and cybersecurity.
- Work with the Engineering teams and the business to deliver solutions that meet their emerging requirements
- Work with Tech Leads to develop of Standard Operational Patterns that can be rolled out across the business and to engineers who need to work in our cloud-based environments
- Work with the Architects to design and implement automation, monitoring, and management functions for AWS and/or Azure based applications
- Integrate AWS and/or Azure metrics and alerts with existing Enterprise monitoring and management solutions
- Work with application teams to analyse performance requirements and determine correct size of hosting environments for a give use case
- Undertake mentoring and knowledge transfer to develop the Platform Engineering function within the company
- Ensure that the company is driving value from central management of cloud solutions
Principal Skills & Attributes Required:
- Strong Platform Engineering skills in AWS and/or Azure
- For Azure – AKS, VMSS, Azure Files, App Service, Functions, Azure AD and VNet/network configuration
- For AWS – EKS, AKS, EC2, S3, Lambda, Elastic Beanstalk, IAM and VPC/network configuration
- Experience with Kubernetes and containerisation, such as Docker/Podman
- Experience with Helm or GitOps tools is a bonus
- Knowledge of software delivery processes and creation of automated delivery pipelines
- Azure DevOps and/or AWS CodeBuild experience is a bonus
- Good communicator able to work with application teams to understand their requirements and explain how these will be met in Azure
- Able to work under pressure and to ask for support when required
- Ability to quickly undertake evaluation of competing products to determine which best meets the companies’ requirements
- Able to automate complex operational and technical processes using industry standard tools
- In-depth knowledge of cloud environments and typical technology stacks employed in them
- In-depth understanding of Cloud security issues and solutions
- Background in Platform/OS engineering, Linux experience is required, Windows experience is a bonus.